What Should I Do If I Am Injured at Work?

When you are injured on the job, you need to report it to your employer immediately. This is true even if you think the injury is minor. If you need to see a doctor, it will initially have to be one that your employer has authorized to treat workplace injuries. This is because the company you work for is legally liable to pay for your medical treatment. As such, your employer can choose where injured employees receive treatment.

In some cases, you may be able to select the medical provider of your choice. However, he or she still needs to be authorized by the workers’ compensation insurance company that represents your employer. Making a request for a specific doctor as early as possible increases your chances of having it approved. If the representative from the workers’ compensation company denies your request, continue to see your employer’s appointed doctor for now to avoid being stuck with the medical bills.

Lost Income While You Recover

Recovering from a serious injury is stressful enough without having to worry about how you’re going to pay the bills. You are entitled to temporary disability benefits until you have recovered sufficiently to return to work. For fiscal year 2016 in West Virginia, the maximum weekly amount you can receive is $778.83 and the minimum amount is $193.33. The current average for people who are on temporary disability is $545.18.

In addition to workers’ compensation benefits, you may be entitled to recover damages over and above workers’ compensation if your employer acted with “deliberate intent” such an intentionally exposing you to an unsafe work condition. Also, if there is an outside contractor or subcontractor on the job site who contributed in causing your injury you may be able to recover damages from them.

Dangerous and defective products, such as tools, equipment or even toxic substances, cause many workplace injuries. These situations can get complex and require the services of an experienced law firm like Wilson, Frame & Metheney. Please call for a free initial consultation. If we accept your case there will no longer be legal fees or expenses unless we recover money for you.

Areas We Serve

  • Fairmont
  • Clarksburg
  • Kingwood
  • Bridgeport
  • Weston
  • Buckhannon
  • Elkins
  • Monongalia
  • Preston
  • Marion
  • Taylor
  • Harrison
  • Barbour

Preston Counties in West Virginia West Virginia Fayette
and Greene Counties in Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
and Garrett County, Maryland


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.